Possible legislation on the secondary use of data
Motion 22.3890 instructs the Federal Council to create the basis in a framework legislation so that specific infrastructures for the secondary use of data in strategically relevant areas can be quickly initialised and established. This is intended to exploit the potential for reusing data while still complying with the principles of data protection law (in particular the purpose limitation principle).
- On 22 August 2022, the motion Framework Legislation for the Secondary Use of Data was submitted by the Science, Education and Culture Committee of the Council of States.
- On 23 November 2022, the Federal Council requested the adoption of the motion and recognised the potential of reusing data for secondary purposes in its statement. At the same time, it referred in its statement to the Data Protection Act, which stipulates that personal data may only be collected and processed for specific purposes that are recognisable to the data subject.
- On 14 December 2022, the Council of States adopted the motion.
- On 12 June 2023, the National Council adopted the motion.
- The allocation of the lead to the FDJP/FOJ is expected to be proposed to the Federal Council in autumn 2023.
Switzerland has trustworthy data spaces in which residents can exercise control over their own data
Digital public services
Public authorities offer their services digitally as standard (digital first).
Laws are designed in such a way that they encourage digitalisation instead of inhibiting it. Authorities at all federal levels conduct their business digitally whenever possible and wherever practical. If necessary, non-digital solutions are also offered.